Alida (being_fulfilled) wrote,

Two days is never enough time, but in this case, it was definitely the best decision to shorten Colin's trip down here and make it just a weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday were long days, in the good way; Saturday night was a long night, in the "we didn't get up until 1:30 Sunday afternoon" way; and it was relaxing, especially for Colin.

Saturday, his flight got in at 11 a.m., and we just hung out for the afternoon--had lunch, went for a walk, started watching Everwood season 1 (which is going to be our next marathon, since Colin has never seen the series). We headed up to the school at around 6, and then after the show, I was there until 2 for strike. Colin was, too, but he went out to the car and fell asleep at around midnight, since he hadn't actually slept, except for a bit of dozing on the plane, since he got up at 9 on Friday morning...

... which explains why we decided to be heathens on Sunday morning and not even try to get up for church. Instead, we got up at around 1:30 and decided that we'd go for a walk to get some lunch, come back, and watch some more Everwood. And this is where the weekend gets interesting.

We left the apartment to have lunch, planning to walk there and back, about 2 miles each way. Not that far, but far enough that I didn't really want to carry my purse with me, and since Colin had his wallet and phone, I didn't take anything with me. Including the keys to the apartment. Which I realized when we were about three steps out the door, which was firmly locked behind us.

Mariah was in Vegas for the weekend, and she wasn't going to be getting home until around 10, so we called a locksmith to see how much it'd cost to get in, but decided that the $60 was more than we wanted to pay, and we'd just figure out something else to do. Colin had his car keys in his pocket, so at least we had a wallet and a set of car keys, so we could entertain ourselves for the rest of the day.

Except that it turned out that Colin didn't have his keys with him. So, we had an afternoon and evening to kill with a wallet and some decent walking shoes. Instead of walking to the restaurant we'd originally planned to go to, we went to the mall a little further away (about 3 1/2 miles), which has more sit-down restaurants and a movie theatre, and figured that we'd see a movie, and by the time that was over and we walked back home, Mariah would be getting back.

That part of the plan worked beautifully. We walked to the mall, had lunch, wandered around Borders for a while, saw Coraline, and walked home, getting back at around 10... only to find out that Mariah's flight had been delayed, and it'd be at least another couple of hours before she got home.

And, of course, I had to pee. I figured we should walk to the 24-hour grocery store, since nothing closer was open by 10:30 on a Sunday night, and wait there until Mariah got home. So, off we went, walking about a mile to the store--and when I was finished, Colin figured that we were going to just head back. I'd thought we could just wander around in the store for a while, but he didn't really want to, and I told him that as long as he was going to keep me warm (fortunately, it was a mild night, although sitting on the cement steps outside the apartment was a little chilly), that was fine.

We sat on the steps outside for a while, then decided that we wanted to go to 7-11 a few blocks away and get some supper, since it was about 11:30, and lunch had been quite a while ago. Mariah came home at around 12:15, just as we were finishing chili dogs from the Tommy's beside the 7-11. (Chili dog and hot chocolate. Nice combination, no?)

If nothing else, the day was our first really good training walk for this year's breast cancer walk... we did about 9 miles (almost 15 km) over the course of the day.

Once we got inside, we ended up watching another episode of Everwood and not going to bed until almost 3. Of course, the alarm went off at 5:30, since we had to leave for the airport by 6, but I was back home by 7:30 and in bed for a couple more hours of sleep before heading out for the rest of my day.

Now Colin is back in Calgary, likely working on music by now. He's planning to still take this week as a vacation of sorts and not go to the rehearsals that he's already planned to have covered by someone else, so he'll have enough time to really work on the show. He might go back to work on Thursday and Friday (and save those two vacation days for some other time), but that'll partly depend on how the music is coming. Even if he does, though, this is a "days" week for him, and it's always easier for him to get work done outside of work when he's on days, rather than nights.

So, like I said when we first decided to do this, it's the best decision. He got a couple of days away from the work, and we got to spend some good, uninterrupted time together for a few days. Easter weekend will be a little longer and a little busier, with a lot more people to see, but it was nice to have this interlude that was just us for a little less than 48 hours.
Tags: easter, my other half, takin' a vacation!, wknd to end breast cancer
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.